Cheerleading for kids is an incredibly fun way for children to stay healthy and active. This competitive sport is suitable for boys and girls and incorporates tumbling, stunting, dance, pyramids, and cheering. Cheerleaders participate in various local and regional competitions – and beyond. If you’re looking for cheerleading gyms in Sydney where your child can start building their skills, Kinetic Dance Force can help.
Benefits of Cheerleading in Sydney
Regardless of age, active kids are happy kids. All kids can benefit from an active lifestyle that includes participation in sports. While there are many different activities your child can choose from to have fun and stay fit, cheerleading is a uniquely enjoyable and beneficial option. Kids who participate in cheerleading not only develop strength, flexibility, and better overall health but also build self-discipline and self-confidence and gain a sense of accomplishment. Here are a few of the specific benefits of cheerleading classes for kids.
- Better general health. It’s no secret that kids who participate in physical activity regularly are healthier than those who don’t. Considering what a widespread problem obesity has become, it’s essential to teach your kids to be active from early on. Staying active can help your child avoid a range of problems down the road, including obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and more. When kids learn healthy habits, such as staying active in childhood, they are much more likely to carry these habits with them into adulthood.
- Strength, co-ordination, and balance. In addition to better overall health, cheerleading can help your child develop a sense of body awareness and a range of co-ordination and motor skills. Children in cheer lessons learn how to use their muscles and body parts in numerous ways. Cheerleading also requires physical strength that helps build muscles in the shoulders, core, and lower body. The best part is that the strength and co-ordination cheerleaders develop can give them skills and abilities that will carry over to other sports and activities.
- Social skills. Effective communication and working with others as a team are major components of cheer programmes. Each team member must learn to talk with and work with one another to perform their routines and stunts safely and correctly. Cheerleading teaches kids why teamwork matters, too. It will become clear to each participant that the quality of a given cheer routine is highly dependent on how the team works together. Your child will also make new friends and have lots of fun when they attend Sydney cheerleading classes.
Tips for Parents Regarding Cheerleading in Sydney
When kids join cheer gyms and become part of a team, they aren’t the only ones making commitments. As a cheer parent, there are things that you can do as well to help encourage your child and give them the best opportunities to succeed. Here are a few things to keep in mind as your child begins to explore the world of cheerleading:
- Commit to attend all classes. Obviously, there are times when it just isn’t possible to attend class. However, you should make every effort to get your kid to every class whenever possible. Cheer students learn new steps and routines in every lesson. Missing lessons will mean that your child falls behind and has to work extra hard to catch up with the rest of the class.
- Set a good example for your child and their friends. We encourage healthy competition and an inclusive, welcoming environment. We want our cheerleaders to feel safe and comfortable as part of their team, both in class and beyond. As a parent, you can do your part by avoiding gossip or other types of negativity and instead focusing on supporting and encouraging all the kids and parents in your child’s class.
- Support your child through the ups and downs. As a cheerleader, your child will experience many ups and downs as they master new skills and have new experiences. There may be skills that take your child a little longer to learn; this can be discouraging. However, as a parent, you play an important role in lifting them up and giving them the encouragement they need to keep trying. Likewise, celebrate their accomplishments with them and let them know you’re proud of them.
About Kinetic Dance Force
Kinetic Dance Force is a different kind of dance school. We offer both dance and cheer, two fun and challenging skills for kids to pour their positive energy into that will help them grow in skill and confidence. We are proud members of the IASF (International All Star Federation), Dance Unite Online, the AASCF (Australian All Star Cheerleading Federation), and the Australian Cheer Sport Alliance. We are passionate about helping young athletes realise their full potential, and we love seeing them surprise themselves with their own accomplishments. If you have any questions or would like to enrol your child in one of our classes, contact us here.