Parents can be pretty nervous about the outcome when sending their child to the first kids’ hip hop dance class. What helps is knowing a little history. Hip-hop has become all about freestyle movement, popping, locking, and breaking (breakdancing). Starting in the late 1960s to early 1970s, hip-hop was roughly designed for the people and was inspired by African dancing. Only in the 1980s and 1990s did hip-hop competitions grow in popularity. Hip-hop as we now know it combines modern dance, tap dancing and swing.
Common Mistakes People Make During Hip Hop Dance Classes for Kids
We’ve recognised a few things that kids, and adults seem to do when learning a new dance, and we’d like to nip them in the bud.
- Don’t just learn the steps. Dancing is more than just the right foot and the right timing; it’s about feeling your steps and working with them. Learning steps is vital but feeling them is what progresses you to the next level.
- Not stretching before a workout has always been a no-no, so why take the chance when dancing? Stretching is necessary to get your limbs warm to achieve the correct movements.
- We cannot stress this enough, ladies—your hairdo. Always keep your hair neatly tucked and pinned down into a ponytail, not ensuring this will cause your hair to fall out of place, get in your eyes and obstruct your view. An incorrect hairdo can cause unnecessary injuries, so avoid it.
Tips Regarding Hip Hop Classes Sydney West
We encourage all our students to practise and become the best, we understand how stressful that can be, and we try our best to relieve that stress. Kinetic Dance Force has some helpful tips when starting your dancing career.
- Just chill. Loosen your feet and arms and just relax. You will not get the proper movement and feel if you are tense. Breathing exercises are a sure way to help you relax.
- Be comfortable. We design our uniforms for comfort; however, we need you to be at ease with yourself. Respect yourself and know what your body can achieve.
- Have fun. You’re a kid, and while learning new skills and making career choices are a big part of growing up, so is having fun–these ties in with relaxing a bit too.
About Kinetic Dance Force
At KDF, we offer musical theatre that includes song, dialogue, dance, contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, and ballet dancing classes. We prefer all students to practice uniforms that include KINETIC DANCE FORCE t-shirts, crop-tops, singleton tops and leotards, and the correct shoes.
All staff at Kinetic Dance Force have Advanced First Aid Training and Working with Children Clearance checks. Some coaches have acquired additional certificates that include Acrobatic Arts, International All-Star Federation levels one to three and Advanced Diplomas in Performing Arts.
We adhere to a strict code of conduct to ensure the safety of all our staff and your children. Registration includes costs such as insurance, APRA, AMCOS and PPCA music licensing. You can register online today to ensure you spot on a team or contact us for further queries.